50 of My Favorite Travel Quotes
Looking for the best solo traveler quotes? Travel quotes can help inspire us to want to travel, can remind us of past journeys and encourage us to book that one-way ticket and just go for it.
There is nothing I love more than a good quote, whether it be a great travel quote or an inspirational road trip quote. It helps to inspire me. Spark my inner traveling desires.
For this reason, I have kept a notebook with me. On top of writing about my travels, I love to keep track of all my favorite travel quotes.
Whenever I read one I always write it down. When I am having a bad travel day, or when everything goes to sh*t. I love to pull them out and read them.
It reminds me of why I love to travel and why I do it. Even when nothing turns out the way you wanted it to, you still learn so much about yourself from traveling solo.
So here are some of my favorite travel quotes. Some are well known and some are ones that I personally wrote.
Hope you enjoy them.
Solo Traveler Quotes: My Top 50
1. “If we were meant to stay in one place we would have roots instead of feet”
This is my motto in life. I am not sure who said it or where it came from, but it is so true. The world is so small and there is so much of it to see. We do not have roots and we are not meant to stay in one place. Get out there and go explore the world.
2. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal” Paul Coelho
Paul Coelho is one of my favorite authors. He writes such interesting books, and most of them are all about travel, exploring, and getting out of your comfort zone. I couldn’t recommend him enough.
3. “Better to see something once than to hear about it thousand times” Unknown
If you have always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower, get out in do it! Don’t keep looking at pictures from your friends or hearing about them from other people. Get out there and see all the things you want to see.
4. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” -Agustine of Hippo
Travel teaches you about so much more than you can read in a book or have taught to you by someone else. It is real-life experiences and the more places you go the more you will learn. Don’t let life pass you by, get out there and see it for yourself.
5. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” -Helen Keller
If you are not pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, what are you doing? Get out there and take life by the horns. Go on an adventure, travel and explore. Don’t wait for others to join you. Go out and do it on your own. You will be just fine. Trust me.
6. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer” Unknown
This is one of my favorite all-time quotes. Because it is so true. Travel is the best thing you could invest your money in. You gain so much from it and have memories that will last a lifetime. You will feel so much more fulfilled than if you were to buy the latest fashion designer clothes.
Travel memories last forever, where material things lose their fulfillment quickly after you purchase them.
7. “The man who goes alone can start today, but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready” Henry David
Don’t wait for others to go to the places you want to go to. It is perfectly fine to go on your own. Don’t wait for your friends or partner to take a vacation. If you have the time and money. GO!
8. “Traveling Solo makes you stronger and realize you are all you need” Unknown
If you have never taken a solo trip. I highly recommend it. You will learn so much about yourself. I guarantee you will love it so much, that you will want to take another solo trip.
9. “Don’t worry what others are doing. Do You” Russell Simmons
You do you. Simply said.
10. “Travel is important because it humbles you in a way that traditional education can’t” Gloria Atanmo
Like I said before. The best education you can get is to travel. You will learn more about the world than you could ever read in a book.
11. “Take only memories, leave only footprints” Unknown
This is so true and applies to every aspect of our lives. It is so important not to leave a trace wherever you go. Also, just as important to not take anything.
I know it is tempting to take a pretty seashell off the beach when you find one, but it is so important just to leave it behind. Take a picture and leave it for the next traveler to find on their walk. If everyone collected seashells there would be none on the beach for us to see.
12. “Never wait for someone to travel with, book the ticket, take the flight and go alone”
Don’t be afraid to travel alone. It is one of the best decisions you can ever make. You will learn so much about yourself and grow. You don’t need to wait for others to follow your dreams, go and do it all on your own.
13. “Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire” Jennifer Lee
Do what excites you. Life was meant to be lived. Follow your passion and do what gives you fire and makes you happy.
14. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” -Benjamin Disraeli
I started traveling at a young age with my family. Every year we would pick a new country and go as a family, of course I remember very little of these vacations. Even as a get older and continue to travel, I remember probably about 10 percent of my vacation.
However, I still keep going back for more. I love vacation, I love experiencing new places, cultures and meeting new people. It is what I live for. Even if I don’t remember all the little details, it’s still all worth it.
15. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” -Aldous Huxley
This is so true. Unless you go and actually experience the country, you have no idea what it is really like and how the people are. So many countries have bad stereotypes, that are so far from the truth. Passing judgments on countries or people is the worse thing we can do.
You are only able to pass judgments once you have gone and experienced it for yourself.
16. “Oh, the places you’ll go.” -Dr. Seuss
This is probably one of the first travel quotes we hear as a child, and it is so true in life and vacation. Life is full of surprises and endless opportunities. It is up to us to take advantage of them
17. “Travel is a curse, the more places you go, the more you realize you have to see” Me
Ok, I am not sure if this was inspired by a quote I read somewhere else, or if it is originally from me. Wherever it came from it is so true. Just when I think I have done my “last” trip and have visited everywhere that I wanted to see, I hear about 10 new exciting places from fellow travelers that I “must-see.
If you are a true “traveler” you will never be done with it. There is always more to explore.
18. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do” H. Jackson Brown
If you want to take a trip somewhere or see that statue when you are on vacation. Do it! If you don’t you will be more disappointed in yourself after the fact if you don’t
19. “Once a year, go someplace you have never been before” Dali Lama
As I mentioned before, once a year I always took a trip with my family to a new and exciting country. I still do this to this day. It is a great practice that I think everyone should do.
20. “Some journeys can be only traveled alone!” – Ken Poirot
This is so true. The more you travel solo, the more you will realize that some trips are just better-traveled solo. Don’t be afraid of it. Once you do it, you will love it.
21. “If you have to wait for someone to travel with you, you may end up waiting a lifetime!” Unknown
This goes along with the whole not being afraid to travel solo. Don’t wait around for your friends or partner, book the ticket and go alone.
22. “Smile for the moment, not for the photo” Unknown
Smile because you are happy of where you are, not to get a good picture to post on social media. Your memories will last longer than your likes. Be happy and enjoy the moment.
23. “You will never be alone if you like the person you are with!” Unknown
Learn to be your best friend and you will never travel alone.
24. “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost” Dali Lama
Don’t be afraid to live a different life. Not everyone is meant to work in an office, get married and have kids. If you want to backpack and travel the world, do it. There is no one life fits all. You have to do what makes you happy. This is a great solo traveler quote.
25. ” Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
Don’t wait to do what you want to do or go where you want to do. However, learn and teach yourself as if you will live forever. Knowledge is power and our time is unknown so use them both wisely.
26. “Solo travel teaches you to be who you are when no one is watching” Me
The best thing about solo travel, is you are able to be you and find out who that really is. There is no one to answer to. You get to make all the decisions and do exactly what you want to do. It is so liberating. You can discover what you actually like to do and who you really are. This is why I love this solo traveler quote.
27. “Travel. Your money will return, but your time will not” Unknown
Time is our most valuable asset, because we never know how much of it we are going to have. Money on the other hand, is not as important as we make it out to be.
It will always return and you will have time to make more of it. However, our time will not always be there. As we age, we get more responsibilities and time becomes more and more precious.
Take that trip when you have the time, not when you have the money. Because they very rarely come together.
28. “Jobs fill your pockets, but travel fills your soul”
If you want to fill your bank accounts with money, do that. But if you want to fill your soul, travel. Make friends. Go new places. Remember money will return to you, but time will not.
29 “Trust yourself, you know more than you think you do” Benjamin Spock
Don’t be afraid to travel solo because you do not trust yourself. You are smarter than you think. Once you start traveling solo you will realize that.
30 “Travel solo, not to find yourself, but to remember who you’ve been all along”
This is a great solo traveler quote. It reminds me of who we have been all along. It is a great way to recenter ourselves. Don’t be afraid to reconnect with yourself and travel solo.
31. “GREAT THINGS NEVER CAME FROM COMFORT ZONES.” ~ ANONYMOUS
Life is meant to be lived outside your comfort zone. Get out there and do what scares you, if you don’t you will most likely regret it later in life. Take the risk, take the chance. This is one of my favorites for solo traveler quptes.
32. “Travel makes a wise man better but a fool worse.” – Thomas Fuller
This is so true. There are so many times that I am traveling where I see tourists acting like complete fools and making themselves look horrible. Understand the laws and culture of a place before you go there and respect it. Otherwise, you are made to look like a fool and will give your country a bad reputation.
33. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” -Gustav Flaubert
You only realize are big the world is and how small you actually are in comparison once you get out and start traveling. There is no one perfect country. Get out and see the differences in the world.
34. “To Travel is to Live” – Hans Christian Andersen
If you don’t travel, you will never realize what is out there and what you are missing. Get out and live life to the fullest.
35. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
Traveling is great, but it is also such a good feeling when you finally come home and get to appreciate all the small things in life you took for granted. Home is good to be missed.
36. “Not all those who wander are lost.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Just because you like to get out and wander, doesn’t mean you are lost. If you do not know what you want to do with your life or where you want to go, you are not alone and that is perfectly fine.
37. “We travel not to get lost, but to find ourselves” Unknown
Travel to find yourself, to explore, and to grow. You are not a lost soul if you don’t follow life’s normal path.
38. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
Don’t be afraid to lose sight of what you have always known as normal, that is how you will truly find yourself. Go explore new places.
39. “Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.” Unknown
I think this is very true, especially for Americans. We get so caught up with our jobs, and the lives we were told we must live that we forget to do what we actually want to do. Don’t spend your life living someone else’s dream or doing the things that you don’t love doing.
40 “To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle” Dali Lama
Don’t worry about changing the world, changing other people’s views. If you can constantly improve yourself then you are doing better than you think.
41. “Go where you feel the most alive”
This is probably one of the best solo traveler quotes. Go where YOU feel most alive. Don’t worry about where others go or what they are doing. Do what you want to do and you will find others that feel the same way.
42. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be” Maya Angelou
Don’t follow the norm or try to be normal. Be you. Be amazing. What makes everyone so special is that we are all so different and have so many good stories that change and shape us. That is what makes us unique. This is a great rule to follow.
43. “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”
This one might be overused, but still a favorite for solo traveler quotes. Do what you love and have moments that take your breath away, otherwise what are you living for.
44. “A traveler should be happy, not perfect”
Stop worrying about being perfect. As long as you are happy, you doing life right. Do what makes you happy.
45. “You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends wanting to meet you”
This is perfect for solo traveler quotes. So many people are afraid to travel solo, because they think they will be on their own for most of their trip. This is far from the truth. I can barely remember a time when I traveled solo that I ever felt alone.
When I wanted to make friends their were always people around. You are almost forced to meet people that you would normally not talk to when you travel solo. It is a great way to push yourself out of your comfort zone and meet lifelong friends from all over the world.
46. “Some journeys can only be traveled alone” Ken Poirot
This is so true. Some journeys can only be traveled alone. Don’t be afraid to take them.
47. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world” Freya Stark
There is something so exciting about waking up in a strange town, not knowing anyone, and getting to plan your day around exactly what you want to do. It is probably one of the reasons why I still continue to travel solo as well as take trips with friends.
They are both so different and offer so many benefits to each.
48. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Be scared to like it” John Mayer
This is true. Once you travel solo and get rid of your fear, you will realize how much you actually enjoy it and you will want to continue you to do it. We are all introverts deep down inside.
49. “If you make friends with yourself you will never be alone” Maxwell Malta
Learn to love yourself more than anyone else and you will never feel alone. Don’t rely on anyone else to be your friend. You are your best friend and your best travel companion. Remember that and you will always be happy.
50. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
Just remember that it is never too late to change your life. You are never too old to do what you have always wanted to do. Get out there and do what you want to do and what you have always dreamed of. Life is too short to wait for it to happen to you or to believe that you are too old to change your ways.
Travel and be happy : )
These are some of my favorite Solo Travel Quotes. If you enjoyed this post you might also like my post on How to travel while stuck at home. It helps to give you great ideas on how to feel like traveling when you can’t actually get out and travel.
Don’t forget to pin it for later